Apartment living can sometimes mean smaller living spaces, low ceilings, and/or layouts that can be hard to work with when it comes to picking out furniture and decor. When your place is small, it’s easy to wonder how decorating can make much of a difference. You might find yourself asking ‘what’s the point?’
The good news is that regardless of a limited floor plan and space, one thing universal to all homes no matter the size…..are walls! Using walls to add a decorating style that is unique to you can actually be a lot of fun.
It doesn’t matter if you’ve lived in your apartment for awhile, or just moved in. Here are some ideas that you can get started on at any time, which we guarantee will make your house feel more like a home!
1. Add a fresh coat of paint! The quickest way to add your personal mark to your living space is to paint your walls anything other than the regular shade of ‘off white’ that they will most likely come in. Using the brighter spectrum of neutral colors can actually give the illusion that your home has more light than it actually does.
2. Paint an accent wall. If you aren’t feeling up to the amount of work that it would take to repaint your entire place, a simpler solution would be to just paint one wall. Pick a wall that you want to be more visually striking from the rest, and then paint it all one solid color of your choosing. If you’re the DIY kind, this should only take an afternoon. But even if you’re pressed for time, consider outsourcing the task through Task Rabbit or other tech service platforms.
Check out our ‘Time To Paint!’ Pintrest board for a few ideas on using bold paint colors.
For 1, 2, or 3, make sure you check with your landlord before you paint! Many property managers don’t allow you to paint the walls. If that’s the case…
4. Make your own gallery wall. This can be a beautiful and simple way to create a story. Add pictures to frames of your travels, spouse, kids, family, pets, your children’s artwork, or favorite quotes and paintings. A rule of thumb is to either have all your frames be different shapes, or all one shape.
5.Set up a collection of mirrors. This is the same concept as the gallery wall mentioned above, except you use mirrors of all different shapes and sizes. This can also give the illusion that your place has more natural light to it.3. Add a mural. Know any friends that are artists? Or, want to give it a try yourself? Add a painting of a tree, a design, or whatever goes a-long with the theme you are trying to create. You can find stencil patterns online. Print them out, cut out the designs, and then just fill in the blanks!
6. Hang maps. If you have a love for travel this can be a perfect way to show it off creatively. Or this can simply remind you of the places you would love to go, or the places you have already been!
7. Set up floating bookshelves. If you happen to collect books on any topic; whether it’s fiction, cooking, yoga, best sellers, philosophy, or whatever hobby or interest you have, why not hang them on individual shelves on your wall? If you really want to make things look aesthetically pleasing , you can them them according to color.
Finding an apartment with the flexibility and layout to fit your personal style doesn’t have to be a challenge. Our apartment locators know all the apartments that will let you paint, hang your TV, and give you the wall space you need to personalize! Call us today at 512-231-1400 to get your Austin apartment search underway!